Wednesday, September 21, 2011

ONE WEDDING TO GO…

Five down one to go. A while ago I mentioned in a blog that I had six weddings coming up in the next eight weeks. Well, it’s five down, one to go and this one promises to be extra special since it’s the wedding of my middle son, Justin. We love his wife-to-be whom he’s been dating for over six years, so we’re thrilled about their pending union, but adding to the excitement is the fact that I’ll be doing the ceremony. I choke up every time I look a couple in the eye and say, I now declare that you’re husband and wife. I can only imagine how I’ll handle it with my own son and his bride!

Weddings are joyous occasions for parents, but those of you who have been through it understand that there’s also a lot of grief mixed in. Not surprising really, since there’s just as much goodbye as hello in the coming together of a new couple…hello to the new family union, with all its hope-filled promise and goodbye to the old family union, with all its shared history. But isn’t this what God planned from the get-go? “Therefore, a man shall leave his parents and unite with his wife and the two will become one flesh”. (Genesis 2:24).

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not feeling sad, just a little wistful. More than anything, I’m deep-down glad…glad that a major phase of my parenting is now over, glad that my son is in love, glad that I’m about to gain a daughter and glad that a new generation is about to become the stewards of their own little place in history. My prayer for them, as for all young couples who are starting out, is that they’ll lavishly embrace Christ in their marriage mix.

Love and blessings,

David

No comments: