Thursday, July 21, 2011

CLOSED OPEN MINDEDNESS…

No one’s more closed than an open-minded, theological liberal. Sound shocking? Maybe to an open minded theological liberal it does, but to a conservative such a statement represents experiential truth. I’ve been the beneficiary, recipient or victim (choose your word) of “closed” open-mindedness on many occasions. Let me explain. When I articulate to a theological liberal, i.e., someone who thinks that all religions are equally true, that I believe Jesus is the only way to salvation, I’m met with disapproving scowls and not-so-subtle expressions of vitriol. I then say, “Hey, wait a minute, I thought you were open to all beliefs. Why are you closed to mine?” The open minded liberal then has no intelligent response because they’re suddenly confronted with their own double standard. Yes, they believe, as liberals, in theological inclusiveness, but not if that inclusiveness has to include someone who doesn’t believe in theological inclusiveness. What a sad irony!

Let’s face it, no one is completely open, including and perhaps especially the so-called open minded, theological liberal. Their open-mindedness is a ruse, a smokescreen, a disguise masking the kind of closed-ness that, at face value, they’re so much against. So let’s name it for what it is, hypocrisy. The theological liberal is quick to call conservatives narrow-minded bigots. Should we just accept this and feel bad about ourselves? Or should we lovingly, but firmly, point out the duplicity of their ways? My opinion is that we’re doing them and the Lord no favors by simply rolling over and playing dead.

It’s time we who are theologically conservative held our heads high and let it be known that we’re proud to be who we are, men and women who believe that there is exclusivity attached to the truth of Jesus Christ. If a theological liberal wants to call this closed, so be it. I call it courageous…and honest, more honest than those whose zealous commitment to open-mindedness has blinded them to their own pretense.

And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved…Acts 4:12.

Love and blessings,

David

1 comment:

Karen Evelyn Reid Foresman said...

The other day, while "thinking",it occurred to me, for the last 10 yrs or so, I have been sand-diving. Who have I told about Christ lately? I was not comfortable with the answer.

I once had a Clown Ministry and recall the flow of joy that came by witnessing the hands-of-salvation rising for the altar call. It was as if I could see the soul of the person light up and shoot sparks from their fingers. I miss that and am beginning to get my "groove" back.